DEET-free insect repellent
This article was originally published in July 2011
Keep bugs at bay naturally with plant-based bug spray
It’s possible to repel pesky mosquitoes or other irritating insects without having to douse yourself in a film of chemicals. Most insect repellents contain DEET, which is classified as a pesticide by the EPA. How much DEET is safe for humans remains controversial. In the past, it was thought that products with a DEET concentration of 50 percent or greater should be avoided. In recent years, more organizations, including Health Canada, have banned products with a DEET concentration of more than 30 percent.
Thankfully there are effective alternatives, and PCC carries a variety of natural bug repellents that are completely DEET-free, to help protect your skin without compromising your health. Read more about natural repellents »
Natural choices for you and your family
- All Terrain Herbal Armor — This formula contains five natural essential oils recognized by the EPA as repellents. One hundred percent DEET-free, it contains only natural ingredients, and is clinically proven to be effective for more than two hours.
- Badger Anti-bug Balm and Anti-bug Shake & Spray — Nontoxic formulas that are safe for the whole family. Badger’s blend of essential oils, extra-virgin olive oil, and beeswax is a repellent that smells and feels good and soothes dry skin. The Anti-bug Shake & Spray features the same great protection, in a convenient spray bottle.
- Quantum Buzz Away — Made from natural essential oils including cedarwood, citronella, peppermint, eucalyptus and lemongrass, Buzz Away contains no petrochemicals, preservatives or other toxins.
- WishGarden Catnip Oil Bug Spray for kids and adults — These products are produced in small batches with wild-harvested and organically grown herbs including catnip oil, a natural mosquito repellent.
- Big Dipper Wax Works Citronella Candles — Locally crafted in Seattle, these candles help to keep bugs at bay on your patio, deck or at your campsite.