A CO-OP IN ACTION…
PCC was started by a community of people and we maintain our roots by being member-owned and operated. Our members are actually partial owners of our stores. Members determine bylaws, elect the Board of Trustees each year (an important activity, as the trustees represent the interests of the members), and may participate through committees and individual volunteer projects. And unlike other grocery stores, our profits go directly back into our stores or to the communities we serve!
- PCC Community Markets is committed to a triple bottom line: the economic, social and environmental responsibilities that shape our co-op from the ground up.
- PCC members each own an equal part of the co-op (for just a $62 lifetime investment).
- PCC members elect other members to serve on the board. Board members develop policies to direct the co-op and strive to make sure that PCC provides what you, the members, want.
- The PCC board hires a CEO to manage the business. The CEO hires and oversees PCC staff (who are also members) to operate and take care of the co-op for other members.
- We use the members’ investment and our annual net earnings to bring products that our members want to market, support the community, remodel our stores and open new stores.
- We don’t use private equity, venture capital or the stock market to fund our co-op. This is the essence of a community-owned business.
- We support local events, projects and community-based organizations that share our values.