Savory Porridge for Any Time of Day
Taste Fall 2017
There’s no better way to warm up on a crisp autumn evening than with a steamy bowl of porridge. Once regarded as dreary gruel, this humble global dish offers endless versatility and complexity of flavors.
Porridge can be made from a variety of grains, vegetables or even legumes, with oatmeal, grits and congee perhaps being the most common forms in the U.S. Once hot liquid has been added, it is easily customizable, and can accommodate all kinds of creative additions. You likely already have many of the ingredients in your pantry or fridge, and you may even be able to use up some leftovers.
Start with our Savory Oats Base recipe, and work in one of these combinations of toppings and mix-ins to transform a sweet breakfast staple into a scrumptious, savory porridge for any time of day.
- Roasted beets, goat cheese, toasted almonds, basil
- Pumpkin purée, caramelized leeks, sage
- Sautéed mushrooms, feta, wilted kale
- Chopped apples, Gruyère, rosemary, toasted walnuts
- Shoyu, scallions, a soft-cooked egg
- Tempeh bacon, black beans, avocado slices
- Pesto, grilled chicken, toasted pine nuts
Tips for perfect oatmeal
Cook your oats low and slow with plenty of liquid to yield the creamiest results. If all the liquid has reduced before your oats are tender, stir in a bit more water or stock and continue to cook. For a nuttier flavor, toast the oats in a little butter or oil before cooking.