- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, whole or coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, whole leaves or coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, whole leaves or coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or brown sugar (optional)
- 2 to 3 ounces feta or chèvre cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Pan-seared slices of fennel bulb, for garnish (optional)
Rinse lentils and place in a saucepan. Add enough water to cover lentils by 2 to 3 inches. Salt the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature, cover the pan and cook lentils, stirring occasionally, until are al dente — tender but not pureed. This will take about 20 minutes. Drain lentils (don’t rinse ) and allow to cool slightly.
While lentils are cooking, toss cauliflower with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place under the broiler until lightly caramelized.
Toss lentils with the cauliflower, spinach, parsley, basil and pistachios.
Combine shallots, garlic and red pepper flakes in a heat-proof metal or glass bowl.
In a small saucepan, heat 1/3 cup oil over medium heat, until the surface begins to move. Carefully pour oil over shallot mixture in the bowl. It should sizzle a bit. Immediately add vinegar, Dijon mustard or brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add the dressing to lentils while still warm.
Garnish with feta and seared fennel slices, if desired.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member