- 1 tablespoon butter, plus extra for baking dish
- 1 large leek – halved, washed and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 (10-ounce) packages frozen spinach – thawed, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss or Gruyère cheese, divided
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a shallow 1-quart baking dish.
Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add leeks and cook until soft and translucent, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine leeks, spinach, milk, cream, eggs, 1 cup cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
Bake until set and the top is golden, 30 to 35 minutes.