- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and light green parts finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery root
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks, celery, carrots and celery root. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, fennel seeds, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add lentils, wine and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until lentils are cooked but still firm, 20 to 30 minutes.
Stir in tarragon and season to taste with salt and pepper.