- 1 bunch chard
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Plain yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
Remove leaves from chard stems; chop stems. Slice leaves and put aside.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and cook until just beginning to soften, about 7 minutes. Stir in chard stems, ginger, garlic, cumin and turmeric; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in rhubarb, chard leaves and raisins. Simmer until rhubarb and lentils are tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and cilantro.