- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- Small piece of jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1 package frozen corn (thawed) or 2 to 3 ears corn with kernels trimmed from the cob
- 1 quart of vegetable broth
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 dried chipotle pepper or a pinch of chipotle powder
- Broken crisp tortilla chips
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- Fresh lime wedges
Heat oil in a large soup pot and sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper, if using, until just soft. Sprinkle with oregano and cumin. Add beans, corn, broth, tomato and chipotle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
Toss chips on top of each ladled bowl of soup. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.