- Cooking spray, for pan
- 2/3 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hempseed, almond or oat milk
- ¼ cup sunflower oil or other preferred baking oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached organic flour or organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (65% cocoa content or above)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts and/or dried organic blueberries (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly spray a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mash the beans and sugar together with a fork or potato masher. Mix in the cocoa powder and salt. Pour in milk, oil and vanilla, and mix until well blended. Stir in flour and baking powder. Sprinkle in chocolate chips and optional nuts or dried fruit.
Spread evenly in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.