- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass (white part only), finely chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 red chile, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 pounds watermelon, peeled and cut into large dice (about 5 cups)
- 2 pounds honeydew, cantaloupe or Galia melon (or a mix), peeled, seeded and cut into large dice (about 6 cups)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 bunch basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted peanuts
Make the dressing
Combine the sugar, water, ginger, lemongrass and lime zest in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Immediately remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Add the lemon juice, lime juice, fish sauce and chile; mix well. Let cool to room temperature.
Make the salad
Place all the melon in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and sliced basil leaves.
Drizzle the dressing over the fruit and let stand for at least 10 minutes, but not longer than 2 hours. This resting time allows the flavors to soak into the melon. Refrigerate if not serving right away. Garnish with the peanuts just before serving.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member