- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 small flank steak, (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds) thinly sliced across the grain
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (shiitake, crimini or domestic)
- 1 small, hot red or green chile pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons soy or fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- 20 Thai or sweet basil leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews or peanuts
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large sauté pan. Stir-fry the beef and garlic for 4 minutes and remove from the pan. Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion, mushrooms, chile and red bell pepper for 2 minutes.
Stir in the beef mixture and add the soy or fish sauce, sugar, basil leaves and cashews or peanuts. Heat through and serve over steamed Jasmine rice.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member