- 2 pounds brisket or chuck steak
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, any color, seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
Season meat generously with salt and pepper (see note).
Add onions, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, cumin, oregano and bay leaves to slow cooker; stir well. Nestle beef in sauce, cover and cook on Low for about 8 hours.
Shred beef using two forks; stir in cilantro.
For even more flavor, heat 1 tablespoon high-heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear beef until well browned, about 4 minutes per side, then continue with the recipe.
This recipe is sized for either a 4- or 6-quart slow cooker.