- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil, for frying (optional)
- Thousand Island dressing or mustard
- 4 or 8 slices rye or sourdough bread
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (optional)
Slice tempeh in half, creating two equal pieces, then again crosswise, to create four equal squares.
Combine Worcestershire sauce, dill, nutritional yeast, onion powder, caraway seeds, celery seeds, vinegar, salt, pepper and broth in a large sealable bag. Add tempeh and mix well. Refrigerate overnight, turning bag two or three times.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Place tempeh in a baking dish and coat with 2 to 3 tablespoons marinade. Bake, loosely covered with aluminum foil, for 15 minutes.
Alternately, pan fry in hot oil and cook tempeh until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Spread Thousand Island dressing or mustard on bread; add tempeh, sauerkraut, cheese and second slice of bread. Grill, or serve as is.