- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onions, divided
- 1/4 pound tempeh, crumbled
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine quinoa and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (you want the quinoa to be a little mushy!). Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add carrots, mushrooms, celery and 1/4 cup onions. Cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tempeh.
In a food processor or blender, combine remaining oil, remaining 1/4 cup onions, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, garlic and salt. Pulse until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, vegetable-tempeh mixture, nutritional yeast mixture, oat flour, Worcestershire sauce, sage and basil. Form into a loaf and place on the prepared baking sheet. Mix together ketchup and brown sugar and spread on top of the loaf. Bake for 30 minutes.