- 2 8-ounce packages of plain soy tempeh
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, through garlic press
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (bulk)
- 1 tablespoon raw wheat germ
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worschestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon each: dried oregano, marjoram, thyme and basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350° F. Oil a glass or dark metal 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan.
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. If mixture seems too dry, add a little water as needed. Gently press mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake approximately 45 minutes, until fully cooked and well browned. Cool for ten minutes before slicing.
Variation: Substitute 1/2 pound lean ground round steak in place of the half the tempeh, for a TeMeat Loaf — a good means of reducing cholesterol in meat and adding the nutrients and fiber of soy tempeh.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member