- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or molasses (or a combination)
- 1/2 cup Southern Comfort or bourbon
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Cracked black pepper to taste
In a heavy saucepan heat the oil and sauté the onions until they are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. You may store the sauce in the fridge for up to one month.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member