- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil, plus additional for grilling
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (18-ounce) log prepared polenta, sliced
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, green peppers and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, oregano and beans to combine.
Add tomatoes, chipotle peppers, sugar and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until flavors are combined, about 15 minutes. Fold in cilantro and keep warm.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Lightly oil polenta slices and grill until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Top with bean mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Grill until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 additional minutes.