Infuse extra flavor into your barbecue by poaching PCC Sausages with wine or beer before topping them with your favorite accompaniments.
- 4 to 6 cups water
- 2 cups wine or beer (optional)
- 4 PCC sausages (your favorite flavor)
- Various accompaniments (see below for additional preparation ideas)
Combine 4 cups of water with 2 cups of wine or beer or simply use 6 cups of water. Bring to a gentle simmer and add the sausages. Don’t prick or poke any holes in the sausage — you want to keep all those lovely flavors inside!
Simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the sausages are just cooked through (they should read 165° F in the center).
Preheat your outdoor grill to medium high. Place the poached sausages on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes, then flip them and cook another 4 minutes, or until they are sizzling and golden. Serve with your favorite accompaniments.
ADDITIONAL PREPARATION IDEAS
1) Create a fresh, colorful presentation by starting with PCC Savory Herb chicken sausages. Poach them in white wine and water, using the above directions, then grill them surrounded with rosemary sprigs for smoke and serve them in your favorite wrapper with fruit salsa. Top with a few green onions that you’ve thrown on the grill until they turn golden.
2) For a rustic Tuscan country-style presentation, start with PCC Sundried Tomato and Basil chicken sausages. Poach them in red wine and water, using the above directions, grill until sizzling, and serve them in your favorite wrapper with artichoke tapenade, goat cheese, chopped kalamata olives and roasted peppers.
3) Go big with the PCC Hot Italian pork sausages, Chicago-style. Poach them in beer and water, using the above directions and serve with 2 different mustards of your choice, sauerkraut, grilled pickles and grilled shallots.
To grill the pickles and shallots follow these directions: Cut the pickles lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices and throw on the grill, turning once, until they get some nice grill marks. For the shallots, peel and slice them. Brush with a little oil and grill on a vegetable grate, turning once, until golden. Sprinkle with a little salt.