- 1 (16-ounce) prepared pizza dough
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Sliced red onions, pepperoni or toppings of choice (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded mozzarella or fontina cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Divide dough in half and form into flattened balls. Roll each into a flat circle. Brush lightly with oil.
To grill: Preheat grill to medium heat. Grill dough, oiled side-down, until bottoms are firm and grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Flip crusts over and grill until dough is set, about 2 minutes. Remove crusts from the grill and brush again with oil. Evenly divide tomatoes, optional toppings and cheese over each crust. Return to the grill, turn off heat, cover and cook until cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
To bake: Preheat oven to 500° F. Bake pizzas on a pan, oiled side-down for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush again with oil. Evenly divide tomatoes, optional toppings and cheese over each crust. Return to the oven and bake directly on the rack until cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper before serving.