- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound beets
- 1/2 pound carrots
- 4 ounces arugula
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Crème fraîche, for serving (optional)
Toast cumin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently, until aromatic, about 3 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, mustard, shallots and cumin seeds. Whisk in oil, a little at a time, to create an emulsified vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Scrub beets and carrots. Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, very thinly slice beets into rounds and carrots lengthwise. Toss vegetables with vinaigrette and let marinate at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
To serve, divide greens between 6 plates and top with marinated vegetables. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and dollop with crème fraîche.