- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large red or golden beets
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for roasting
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
Combine barley, broth and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork.
Preheat oven to 450° F. Wrap beets in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool and peel off skins; cut beets into small cubes. Set aside.
Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes to heat. Toss fennel, onions and thyme in a bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Carefully transfer to the hot baking sheet and roast until golden, about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper. Toss dressing with warm barley, roasted vegetables and orange segments. Serve warm or at room temperature.