- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large red or golden beets
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for roasting
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
Combine barley, broth and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork.
Preheat oven to 450° F. Wrap beets in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool and peel off skins; cut beets into small cubes. Set aside.
Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes to heat. Toss fennel, onions and thyme in a bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Carefully transfer to the hot baking sheet and roast until golden, about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper. Toss dressing with warm barley, roasted vegetables and orange segments. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member