For the tuna
- 8 ounces albacore tuna
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry wasabi powder or 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi paste (or more to taste, of course!)
For the salad
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño chile or more to taste
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon sweet red chili sauce
- Pinch salt
- Pinch sugar if fruit is not overly ripe
In a large non-aluminum bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Add the tuna filets and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours.
To cook, sear in hot pan or grill over hot coals for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until just done through. Do not overcook. Cool thoroughly, cut into small cubes and toss with the salad ingredients.
For the salad
Peel the mango by cutting a small cap off each end and standing it upright on your cutting board. With a sharp knife, shave off the peel from top to bottom in strips, following the contour of the fruit. Cut slices of fruit off the pit and chop the slices into a small dice. Place the mango in a bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients including the albacore. Season with additional lime if desired.
Garnish with sliced green onion and sesame seeds.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member