- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon each: red pepper flakes, ground cumin, salt and smoked sweet paprika
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (1 3/4 to 2 pounds) flank steak
- Salt and pepper
- High-heat oil, for the pan
Smash and chop garlic into a paste. Place parsley, cilantro and garlic in a glass or stainless steel bowl and add red pepper flakes, cumin, salt, paprika and vinegar. Whisk well. Add olive oil and whisk again to incorporate. Add pepper, taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Salt and pepper the steak and let it rest at room temperature. Heat a large cast-iron grill pan on medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, brush pan with oil and immediately place the steak down. Sear for 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and finish on the other side for 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove steak from heat to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let it rest for several minutes before slicing. Cut slices against the grain on the bias. Pour sauce over slices and serve.