- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 3 ribs celery, julienned
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3 to 5 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Cooked pasta, for serving (optional)
Heat a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-¬high heat. Add oil and heat until shimmery. Add onions, cooking for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cooking another 2 minutes. Add carrots, celery and peppers and cook until softened.
Add chicken, salt, tomatoes, bay leaves and wine; stir well to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves. Check for seasoning and stir in basil. Serve atop cooked pasta.