- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups mushroom broth
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Rinse basmati rice with cold water until the water runs clear. Place rice in a small saucepan and cover with 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes.
In a large soup pot heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, ginger, garlic, chives, curry powder, turmeric, salt and red pepper flakes. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add mushroom broth and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Stir in cooked rice, lime juice, tamari sauce and broccoli florets; reduce heat to a simmer.
Remove 1/4 cup hot broth from the pot and stir into peanut butter to create a smooth, runny mixture. Stir peanut butter mixture back into the soup and continue cooking until broccoli is tender.