- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup French lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound summer squash, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Bring 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa, adjust the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool in refrigerator.
Bring 4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add lentils, cumin and cinnamon and cover the pot. Adjust the heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain excess liquid but do not rinse. Cool.
Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Lightly coat peppers, onions, squash and mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil. Roast for 6 to 8 minutes, until some liquid has been released and vegetables have begun to soften and change color. Let cool.
When the grains and vegetables are cool, toss together with remaining olive oil and oregano. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Any seasonal vegetable may be used to substitute for the peppers, mushrooms, onions and summer squash. Aim for a total of 2 pounds of vegetables before any peeling, seeding or chopping.