- 2 ounces shredded unsweetened coconut (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 1/2 pounds Jewel or Garnet yams (sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 7 ounces canned coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread shredded coconut in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring once or twice to make sure coconut browns evenly.
In a vegetable steamer basket set over medium-high heat, steam yams for 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft and fully cooked.
Using a mixer with whip attachment, combine yams, coconut milk, garam masala, salt, sugar and cilantro until well mixed.
To serve, garnish yam mixture with toasted coconut.