- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 slices prosciutto, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 1/2 pounds yams, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, chanterelles, etc.)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic, prosciutto and marjoram; cook until shallots are soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add yams and cook until golden and tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Remove yam mixture from the skillet, add remaining oil and cook mushrooms until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Return yams to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
Toss balsamic with cooked yams and mushrooms. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in pine nuts and parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.