- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and smashed
- 1-inch piece ginger, sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mild yellow curry powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
- 4 lime leaves (optional)
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 pound sweet potato, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, lemongrass, ginger, curry powder and sugar; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and lime leaves. Cover with coconut milk, broth and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in carrots and potatoes; continue to simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about another 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member