- 1 cup quinoa (either red or white)
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup nuts or seeds (pecans, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.)
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 fennel bulb, white part and fronds sliced thin
- 1 bunch hearty greens (dinosaur kale, Swiss chard, collard greens, beet greens, etc.), cut into a chiffonade
- 1 large beet (golden, red or Chioggia), cut in small pieces
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 firm apple, cut in small pieces
- 1/4 red or green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue or goat cheese
Rinse quinoa with cold water in a fine sieve. Add quinoa to a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, cover pan and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest without removing the lid for 15 minutes. Cool before adding to salad.
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Place nuts or seeds on a sheet pan and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
In a small bowl, add lemon juice, zest, vinegar, garlic and mustard. Slowly drizzle in oil while whisking (you may also place all ingredients in a small jar, cover and shake); season with salt and pepper.
Place all veggies and apples in a large bowl along with cooled quinoa. Toss salad with dressing. Top with toasted nuts and crumbled cheese.
You may substitute store-bought dressing, if desired. If using store-bought, you may want to add a bit of extra fresh-squeezed citrus — lemon, lime, orange or even grapefruit. I like to add some of the zest as well; a splash of extra apple cider vinegar will help too. This should be a nice, sharp dressing, as many of the ingredients are quite sweet with natural sugars.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member