- 1 cup hulled barley or 2 1/2 cups cooked barley
- 4 cups mushroom broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, crimini or a mixture of wild mushrooms
- 1 large rib celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper, or to taste
- Sour cream and parsley, to garnish (optional)
Bring barley and 3 cups broth to a boil in a saucepan. Cover and simmer until barley is cooked, about 1 hour.
In a stock pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat and add onions. Stir until shiny, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and broth including cooked barley and bring to a light boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve as is or topped with a bit of sour cream and parsley to garnish.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member