- 1 cup mung beans
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup high-heat oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups pureed tomatoes (about 4 each)
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Wash and drain mung beans. Set aside.
Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add cumin seeds and allow to sizzle for 45 seconds, or until a darker brown. Add garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until brown but not burned. Stir in tomatoes then add ginger, coriander, turmeric, salt and cayenne. Stir and sauté this mixture (masala) for 5 minutes or until oil glistens.
Add water and mung beans, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Taste beans to make sure they are cooked.
Stir in coconut milk and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil and turn off heat (if you want your curry thicker, simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more over medium-low heat). Stir in fresh cilantro and serve.