- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala (find in bulk spices)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (use 1 teaspoon if using water instead of broth)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- Lime wedge, dash of cayenne pepper, shredded, unsweetened coconut and parsley, to garnish (optional)
In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and spices and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until quite aromatic. Stir in carrots, sweet potatoes, celery and water or broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
Add salt and lower heat to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. If you wish, puree the soup in a blender until creamy or serve as is atop quinoa and lentils.
Garnish with lime wedges, a dash of cayenne, coconut and fresh parsley.