- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- 6 brown or white rice spring roll wrappers
- 1 ripe avocado – peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 ripe mango – peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 6 ounces cooked prawns or extra-firm tofu, sliced (optional)
- 12 basil leaves
- 12 mint leaves
To make the dipping sauce, whisk together tamari, lime or lemon juice, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
Soak rice noodles in hot water until soft and pliable, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Fill a large dish with warm water. Soak one spring roll wrapper in water until pliable, 5 to 15 seconds. Remove wrapper to a clean, dry surface.
Place some rice noodles, avocado, mango, cucumber, carrot and shrimp or tofu on the lower third of wrapper, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with 2 basil and 2 mint leaves.
Bring the bottom edge of the wrapper up and over the filling and snugly start to roll it up. Tuck in sides, like a burrito, and continue rolling until completely wrapped. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cover rolls with a moist towel while you finish the rest.
Cut rolls in half on the diagonal and serve with dipping sauce.