- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons North African Spice Mix
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 3 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut
In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté onions in oil until very soft and lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Add celery, carrots, ginger, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
Add North African Spice Mix and cook, stirring, for 10 to 20 seconds or until fragrant. Add lentils, coconut milk, stock and tomato paste. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
Stir in vinegar, lemon juice and hot sauce. Simmer for another 3 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Garnish soup with grated coconut.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member