- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs of choice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- High-heat oil, for grilling
Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Cook onions until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add water and bring to a boil; whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly until thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in cheese, herbs, salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared dish and spread evenly with a spatula. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour (this can be done up to 1 day ahead).
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Cut polenta into 8 triangles; lightly oil polenta. Grill until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
• Chopped roasted red peppers and roasted garlic
• Blue cheese crumbles and toasted pecans
• Fresh basil pesto
• Grilled portobello mushrooms: Marinate two portobellos in balsamic vinegar and oil. Grill until tender. Chop and mix with fresh parsley, salt and pepper.