- 2 cups emmer farro
- 3 small eggplants, halved
- 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- High-heat oil, for brushing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Cook farro in a large pot of boiling, salted water until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, heat grill to high. Brush eggplants and peppers with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Allow to cool slightly and dice into 1-inch pieces.
Combine shallots, mustard and vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
Toss farro with grilled vegetables, balsamic dressing, tomatoes and parsley. Best served at room temperature.
If you don’t want to go outside to grill the vegetables, you may also use a grill pan or cast-iron skillet placed over medium-high heat on your stovetop.