- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Metal or bamboo skewers (see note)
- High-heat oil, for cooking
- Chopped cilantro, to garnish (optional)
In a non-reactive container (glass, good ceramic or stainless steel) combine chicken, salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, garlic and lemon juice. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
Thread 2 to 3 pieces of chicken onto each skewer.
To grill chicken: heat grill to medium heat. Lightly oil grill grate and chicken. Cook chicken, turning several times, until delicately browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
To broil chicken: preheat broiler and lightly oil chicken. Cook chicken, turning once or twice, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
If using bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them in cold water for at least 20 minutes prior to using.