- 1 (4 1/2- to 5-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth, as needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried chile pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving (optional)
Combine chicken pieces, onions, 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, mustard and garlic in a sealable plastic bag or large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Remove chicken from marinade and onions; set marinade and onions aside. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or oven-proof saucepan with lid. Cook chicken, in batches, on both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep about 1 tablespoon fat in the pan.
Drain onions from marinade (keep marinade). Cook onions over medium heat, stirring often, until translucent, about 15 minutes. Nestle chicken in the onions and add reserved marinade and chicken broth to cover. Add bay leaves and chile pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and carefully transfer to the oven. Cook until chicken is falling-apart tender, about 1 hour.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve over rice.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member