- 1 whole chicken, cut into sections
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Vegetable trim from onions, fennel and carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 to 6 garlic cloves, chopped (depending on how much you love garlic!)
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chopped chard or kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
Place chicken, bay leaves, salt and vegetable trim into a pot and add 6 cups cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, skimming any foam that rises to the top. Discard bay leaf and vegetable trim. Strain stock and reserve. Skim the fat from the chicken stock.
Remove meat from chicken and cut into large chunks.
Place the pot back on the stove and add oil over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, fennel, carrots and thyme for about 5 minutes. Pour in reserved stock and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken, chard or kale, and oregano. Simmer for 10 minutes more. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member