- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ pound bacon, diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 pound cremini or white mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (4 1/2- to 5-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 carrots, cut on the diagonal
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Steamed potatoes or cooked noodles, for serving (optional)
Heat a Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add oil and bacon and cook until crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon and set aside. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 7 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic and cook for 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add chicken pieces, reserved bacon, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, carrots and wine to the pot; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 30 minutes.
Remove chicken and carrots to a warm serving platter; set aside and keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil and cook until reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Add chicken and carrots back to the pan and toss gently to coat.
Serve over potatoes or cooked noodles.