- 1 (14-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 pound red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus additional for frying
- 1 onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 small chile pepper, minced
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked (or use 1 cup frozen kernels)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons white wine or stock
- 1 to 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, plus additional for coating
Mash garbanzos in a large bowl or blend in a food processor until a chunky paste is formed. Set aside.
Steam potatoes until soft. While potatoes are steaming, saute onions in oil over medium heat until golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, chile peppers and corn. Season with salt and pepper.
Turn up heat to medium-high. Cook until tomatoes are soft, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes. Add curry powder. Stir and cook for 1 additional minute. When the mixture begins to stick slightly, add wine. Cook until mixture has reduced slightly, leaving a thick sauce. Remove from heat.
Add curry mixture and potatoes to garbanzo beans. Mash potatoes and mix well. Add vinegar and additional salt and pepper to taste. Mix in breadcrumbs. If mixture seems too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Let cool and form into patties.
To cook, coat patties with breadcrumbs and fry in 2 to 3 tablespoons oil on both sides, until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Mango Avocado Salsa.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member