- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for pan
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries, gently smashed
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
In a blender or food processor, puree 2 3/4 cups corn, milk, butter and vanilla until almost smooth. Add eggs and pulse 6 times. Add masa harina, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon zest, and salt; puree until incorporated. Fold in remaining corn kernels.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown and set in the center, about 55 minutes. Cool on a rack and cut into squares.
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch; set aside.
Place remaining water, blackberries and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook for 1 minute. Add cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon lime zest.
Serve warm blackberry compote over cake.