- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 avocado – pitted, peeled and diced
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in 2 cloves garlic, cumin, coriander and a pinch of cayenne. Cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add corn and increase heat to medium-high. Sauté until tender and just starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Transfer half of the corn mixture to a blender or food processor and add half the buttermilk; puree until smooth. Pass through a fine mesh strainer, if desired, and transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining half of corn mixture and buttermilk. Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours.
Just before serving, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add shrimp, 1 clove minced garlic, a pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper. Sauté until shrimp turn bright pink and are opaque, about 3 minutes.
Serve chilled soup garnished with shrimp, avocado and cilantro.