- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive or high-heat oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery or celery root
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped pasilla chiles or green peppers
- 3 tablespoons Creole Seasoning
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 pound thickly sliced Andouille or other smoked sausage
- 1 1/2 cups white Basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable blend juice
- Hot sauce, to taste (the more the better!)
- Creole Sauce
Preheat oven to 400° F.
In a heavy, ovenproof pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and add onions and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in celery, peppers, chiles and Creole Seasoning. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until vegetables begin to brown.
Add chicken and sausage and cook until chicken lightly browns. (It doesn’t have to be done all the way through — that will happen in the oven.)
Add rice and stir to heat through. Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes, juice and hot sauce. Bring mixture to a boil, taste the stock for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Cover the pot and place in the oven for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Serve drizzled with Creole Sauce if desired.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member