- 2 cups cubed root vegetables in any combination (choose from carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, golden beets, Jerusalem artichokes and yams)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for tossing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 turkey or chicken Italian sausages
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small leek, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked white beans
- Hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Toss root veggies with a little olive oil and salt; place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place chicken and sausage on a separate baking sheet. Roast veggies for 10 to 12 minutes until tender, and sausage and chicken for 20 minutes, or until just done through. Cool meats slightly and cut into bite-sized chunks.
In a large heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and cook garlic, leeks, fennel, thyme and sage for 1 or 2 minutes. Add chicken and sausage and cook until gently browned. Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, beans and root vegetables. (I save a few of the roasted veggies for garnish.) Cover and simmer gently for 12 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
Drizzle with the Basil-Caper Oil and serve in shallow bowls. Accompany with crusty, country-style bread, if desired.
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.