- 1 (1 1/2- to 3-pound) corned beef
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 6 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2 rutabagas, peeled and quartered
- 8 small new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- Horseradish, for serving (optional)
Remove corned beef from marinade and rinse thoroughly. Place in a large stock pot with just enough water to cover and bring to a boil (see note). Simmer for 10 minutes, skimming off any foam or residue on top of the water. Add peppercorns, cloves, garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Add carrots, turnips, rutabagas, potatoes and onion. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, covered, until all the vegetables are tender, about 15 additional minutes. Remove meat, slice and place on a large serving platter. Arrange well-drained vegetables on the platter surrounding the meat.
For more flavor, substitute part of the water with beef stock or your favorite dark beer.