- 2 tablespoons butter, plus extra for dish
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound Cameo apples, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese
Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly butter a 9-inch square baking dish.
Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add shallots and cook until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Pour in milk and bring to just a simmer. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
Layer apple, turnip and parsnip slices in the prepared baking dish, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Pour warm milk mixture over top and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake until root vegetables are tender and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member