- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds beef short ribs (10 to 12 good-sized lean ribs)
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 to 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Pasta or polenta, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 325° F.
In a small bowl, stir together oil, salt and several fresh grinds of black pepper. Rub each side of short ribs with the mixture.
Place a Dutch oven on top of the stove, over medium-high heat. Add oiled ribs to the pan when it is hot enough to sizzle. Brown ribs on all sides, turning every few minutes with long tongs. When each side is brown, reduce the heat to medium-low.
Place vegetables in the pot followed by wine and tomatoes. Finish with freshly chopped herbs.
Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3 to 4 hours, until meat is fork tender and falling off the bone. Serve over fresh pasta or polenta.