- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 bunch radishes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes and turmeric. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine peas, ham, onions, kale leaves, radishes and celery. Drizzle with yogurt dressing and mix well. Let sit covered in the refrigerator, to allow flavors to meld, at least 30 minutes or overnight.
To prepare dried black-eyed peas, soak 2 cups peas in water for at least 4 hours. Drain and rinse. Place beans in a large soup pot and cover with ample water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until just tender, about 1 hour. Drain.